Fort Gilkicker was built in 1871 as part of the coastal defence around Portsmouth Harbour, the fort had 22 heavy guns on a semi-circular wall and was built specifically to stop the French landing on the point. The fort was in use right up until 1956 when it was deemed surplus to requirements. in its heyday it housed 100 men and participated in communication and control of D-Day landings.
The fort is now owned by Hampshire County Council who have made the structure good by performing minor repairs and there is hope it will be converted into apartments and all buildings retained. The Fort is Grade II Listed and is a scheduled ancient monument, but is unfortunately on the Buildings at Risk Register.