The West Ham court house, also know as West ham Magistrates’ or West ham Police and Coroner’s court, is a Yellow brick Victorian era Italianate Court house built in 1884 and officially opened in 1885. The complex of buildings were designed by the Borough Architect & Engineer Lewis Angell. West Ham court house was later extended by John Morley in 1901 and included a new frontage.
Due to a new court house being built within the Stratford area, the older West Ham court house was phased out and vacated circa 2010. The buildings were granted Grade 2 listed status during the 1980’s as being a historical building. Unfortunately, a in December 2013 gutted court room 2 and destroyed the upper floors; 2014 saw emergency conservation work such as scaffolding holding up court room 1 and a temporary roof to prevent further decay to the buildings.